Acton Academy Bee Cave is a blend of the old and the new – a return to the community schoolhouses that built America – with the best of modern technology and 21st century organizational design.
In a tightly knit community bound by shared mission, promises and accountability, young people develop deep friendships, confidence, and skills to keep them learning, thriving and growing for a life full of adventure.
The Spark Studio – is an authentic Montessori environment of whole child development each morning: cognitive, physical, emotional and social.
In the afternoons children in Spark learn and discover through loose parts play (Spark Play) where they plan, build, and create outside. Plus, outdoor exploration and freetime.
The Spark Studio also builds foundations of reading, writing, autonomy, goal setting and independent learning skills that prepare young people to soar in the Journey Studio.
“Lower Elementary” Ages 6-8
The Journey Studio – mixes the best of the Spark and Discovery Studios and creates a space for learners ages 6-8 to continue to build their love of learning, intentionality muscles, and autonomy, setting them up for sucess in the Discovery Studio.
This includes competencey and confidence in reading, writing, asking quesgtions, goal setting and independent learning skills. This also includes self-governance.
“Upper Elementary” Ages 8-11
“Middle School”- Ages 11-14
Think and speak clearly to develop wisdom and judgment
Instead of memorization to cram for the test …
… You are Harry Truman.
- Do you drop the bomb?
- Reflect on this video of Hiroshima after nuclear force. Does this change your mind?
- Reflect on this photo and personal account of a Japanese POW camp. Does this change your mind?
- Which ethical approach is more important to you: a values approach — “We do not kill people” — or a utilitarian approach — “Fewest total lives lost”?
High School Studio
“Launchpad”- Ages 14-18
Develop habits and character traits that make an abundant, fulfilling life
Instead of schools designed to minimize behavior problems …
… Young people learn to lead by doing so, with Servant Leader Badges celebrating the most important milestones, like:
- Leading a conflict resolution discussion
- Developing a mentor relationship with a personal hero
- Completing deliberate practice of a skill you want to develop
- Mentoring a team from a younger studio
- Leading a team in accomplishing a big goal
- Mastering a productivity skill like the urgent-important matrix
Limited Spots Available for Fall 2023-2024
Young people in the Middle School Studio embark into the real world with the thrilling opportunities and responsibility that come with it.
- Learners apply real-world skills in hands-on projects including apprenticeships each year with real businesses in the community.
- The Adventure Studio offers a higher level of freedom (and responsibility), as well as safe place to test your limits, failing early, cheaply and often, and practice self governance and accountability for yourself and your fellow classmates.
- More info on the Middle School Adventure Studio
- Apply to join the Adventure Studio
“Launch Pad Studio”
(VERY Selective prelaunch for 2023-2024)
We plan to launch our High School Studio – Launchpad – as soon as founding students from the lower studios mature to build this fast-paced work environment.
- Launchpadders get ready for real-world success by gaining valuable skills, mastering them through apprenticeships, and launching real startups, businesses and projects.
- Whether that’s in business, science, humanities, or the arts, apprenticeships and projects increase in length and complexity, according to the Launchpadders experience and learning journeys at Acton.
- By the time a young person leaves Launchpad they have a portfolio of real-world work to prove what they can do.